Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Dad Update

My dad has been diagnosed with atrial Flutter (abnormal wave form and contraction in the right atrium). Since this abnormal heart beat the right atrium in not properly squeezing all the blood out of the right atrium to the right ventricle. In order to change this irregular rhythm they need to do one of two this; shock his heart (cardiovert) inorder to the heart to get back in to a regular rythm or use medication to help him convert back to his regular rhythm. My dad had a Transesophageal Echocardiogram which a transducer is place down the throat to take a better look at the heart. With the echo they notice a large blood clot (probably due to the pooling of the blood) in his right atrium. They were going to shock his heart to try to put him back into normal sinus rhythm, but after they found this clot they decided not to. They reason that they don't want to shock the heart at this time is becauses they don't want to dislodge the clot and cause it to go to the lungs. So the doctors told him that he needs to stay in the hospital to be put on blood thinner and to make sure the clot doesn't dislodge for the next 5 days. He is pretty much on strick bedrest. He can only get up to take a shower or to use the restroom. Poor dad it would drive me crazy if I had to stay in bed all the time. He said that he is doing better, but he is just really tired all the time. I hope that he gets better soon. I will keep everyone posted.

1 comment:

{McGinty's} said...

so sorry to hear that about your dad. I hope everything turns out okay. Also my sister did take those pics of my baby. I did get a baby book....well it is sort of like what you told me about. Close enough i guess:) It has been so fun!